Step 1: Find the right property
The first step to finding the right property is to register with us either by calling us on 212.967.7013 or visiting our Fifth Avenue Location where you can discuss your property requirements with one of our local agents. You can also register your interest about a specific property on-line With thousands of properties to choose from you can rest assured we have just what you're looking for.
Step 2: Arranging your mortgage
Before you begin your property search, it is advisable to arrange your finances and, if required, have a mortgage agreed in principle. This will confirm how much money you will have to fund the purchase, which will ultimately influence your property search. Our recommended mortgage brokers have access to the entire market, as well as exclusive deals and rates to help find you the best mortgage available.
Step 3: Finding the right property
Once we have a clear understanding of your requirements you will receive a selection of properties that match your criteria. We can also keep you constantly up-to-date via email alerts when the latest properties become available.
Step 4: The key to successful viewings
We're open at times to suit you, convenient for viewing after work and at weekends. Our offices are open 8am-7pm Monday to Friday and 9am-5pm and our agents are showing properties 7 days a week. In order to secure a property we recommend an early viewing. We will escort you to your viewings ensuring you arrive in a relaxed frame of mind and accompany you throughout so that we are on hand to answer any questions immediately and advise where necessary.
Step 5: Attorney
The successful purchase of a property can be reliant on the instruction of an efficient and experienced attorney. It is a good idea to use an attorney who knows the area that you're moving to and specializes in real estate transactions. We have a selection of tried and tested attorneys that are experts in property who we would be happy to recommend.
Step 6: Making an Offer and submitting application
Once you have identified a suitable property we will put your offer forward to the seller both verbally and in writing stating any special conditions of the offer. You may need to demonstrate, if requested, that you are able to proceed (e.g. provide evidence of your mortgage agreed in principle). There are no legal obligations on either side until contracts are signed.
Step 7: Offer Agree
Once your offer is accepted we will do the following:
- Prepare a memorandum of sale
- Write to all parties to confirm the agreed price
- Ask you to confirm your solicitor's and mortgage broker's details
- After your lawyer concludes that the financial condition is satisfactory, that the by-laws of the building are acceptable to you, and that the contract of sale is also acceptable, your attorney will allow you to sign the contract. At that time you will usually be required to present a deposit of 10% of the purchase price. The contract plus the deposit will then be forwarded to the seller for signature. This money will be held in the seller's attorney's escrow account until closing. It is important to note that until all parties have signed the contract, and it has been delivered, the seller can still entertain and accept other offers.
- If financing, you should move forward with your loan application. Your real estate agent will assist you in finding a mortgage broker. It is advised that you pre-qualify for a mortgage with a brokerage firm prior to beginning your housing search.
- You will, by now, have received from your real estate agent the board requirements and application materials. The application materials can be similar for a cooperative and condominium. However, the actual process is quite different. You will need to complete all of the required materials which typically include: an application, a financial statement signed by a CPA, all requisite support for your financial statement, three years of tax returns, bank statements, letters of personal and financial reference, letters of professional reference, the contract of sale, bank documents (if financing) indicating that your loan is in place, etc.
- When your "package" is finished, it will be reviewed by a MMG Manager, and then, assuming it is complete, it will be forwarded to the managing agent for review. Upon determination that it is in order and that credit checks were acceptable, it will be forwarded to the Board of Directors. No applications will be accepted by a Managing Agent unless they are complete.
- In the case of a cooperative, if your application meets initial approval, you will be invited to be interviewed by the Board or by an interviewing committee. This is a serious matter and not to be taken lightly. It should be treated as a business meeting.
- After approval by the Board, you are ready to begin planning for a closing!
Step 8: Move in
At closing you wil be given a set of keys. Congratulation, you can now move into your new home.